Day 1

 Well my friends, its official! I have begun the 6-week 5 hour a day Spanish Classes. So far- I am really enjoying it. The teacher has a lot to teach me, but the conversation, as well as the grammar, vocab, pronunciation, etc… she is giving me, is going to be of great benefit in the long run. I am super pumped for this experience.

I see now, that, being immersed in a language is vital to learning it. Although you may learn it from a class  or a program, nothing compares to being immersed into a cultura and a language completely foreign to you. And you know what, the people know that you are learning, and it is their mission to help us to learn the language and culture as we enter into their own lives, in their own country, and on their own level.

As Jesus was Baptized by John in the waters of the Jordan, he went into the muck of the Jordan river. A river that is not clean or sanitary by any means to show that, although he was God, he wanted to get on our level in order to experience what we experience but sin. I now understand what this means in my own life- academically, humanly, pastorally, and spiritually- here in Guatemala; for me to experience the diversity, the culture, the traditions, the way the people live, etc…just as Christ experienced our own humanity.

LETS GO!  

(As a side note, I will be, hopefully, writing these blogs in Spanish for now on. It may take a week, however, its a part of the the immersion and the experiences that we are all going to under go together.)

Comments

  1. Thank you (or Gracias!) for sharing. We are praying for you back at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome Father Matt. We are all praying and reading. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ancient and the Contemporary

Just an ordinary day at School!